As a multidisciplinary applied science, Biotechnology is an amalgam of Genetics, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Fermentation Technology, Bio-process Engineering and Economics. This field of knowledge aims at transforming biological inputs into commercial inputs and new products as well. There are rapidly increasing opportunities for the application of biotechnology in the manufacture of medical and Veterinary products, chemical food, energy, pollution control and waste management. In the light of the aforementioned facts, it is not surprising that several Universities and Institutions in industrialised countries have formed networks to facilitate an access to the knowledge and evoke much interest from the industry. Particularly in a cosmopolitan industrialised city like Mumbai, there shall be no dearth of employment avenues for Biotechnologists. Furthermore, the industry can save on the cost of training their employees thereby saving a lot of foreign exchange.
This subject is thus appropriate for implementation in academic institutions. The University Department of Biotechnology, University of Mumbai, established in the year 1997, conducts two years Post graduate degree course at Vidyanagari campus to cater to the needs of the students for modern Biotechnology. Dr. D. A. Bhiwgade, MSc., Ph.D., D.Sc. is Professor and Head, Department of Life Sciences, University of Mumbai has been given the additional charge of Department of Biotechnology. The syllabus has been drafted by the faculty to represent major areas of Biotechnology. Currently the course being conducted in the life Sciences Department of the University. The subject is taught by experienced teachers of the University and the visiting faculty from B.A.R.C, C.R.I, T.I.F.R. and various colleges.
The Biotechnology Department of the University is full of vitality and vigour and has been equipped with modern sophisticated state of the art facilities including Computer and internet. The internet connectivity has enabled the University to make its presence felt even more in the international academic community.
The Department of Biotechnology is housed in Department of Life Sciences building in the Vidyanagari Campus of the University of Mumbai. The Vidyanagari Campus is accessible both by Central Railway (Kurla) and Western Railway ( Santacruz) . BEST routes 37, 91, 306, 312, 313, 318, 374 pass via Vidyanagari.
1. Cell Biology
2. Developmental Biology / Genetics
3. Biochemistry and Biophysics
4. Biomathematics and Biostatistics
6. Microbiology and immunology
7. Bio-process Technology and Bio-informatics
8. Molecular biology, DNA Technology and Genetic Engineering
9. Tissue Culture technology
10. Commercial Aspects of Biotechnology
11. Project and Seminar
Presently the course is utilizing the existing lecture hall and laboratory space etc. in the Department of Life Sciences, University of Mumbai till the new building is constructed.
DR. D. A. BHIWGADE,
M.Sc., Ph.D., D.Sc
Professor and Head
Department of Life Sciences & Biotechnology
University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari,
Santacruz(East), Mumbai -400 098.
Annual Tution Fees and Examination Fee.
M.Sc. Part - I & II
Admission fee for the academic year
1. Tution Fee - 15,000.00
2. Laboratory Fee - 1,000.00
3. P. G. Registration Fee - 400.00
4. Registration form fee - 10.00
5. Study Tour - 500.00
6. Departmental Library - 500.00
7. Library Fee ( General) - 200.00
8. Student Union Fee - 10.00
9. Annual Departmental Day - 150.00
10. Others (if any ) Journal - 100.00
Fees are payable by cash in the Alahabad Bank, Kalina Branch, Wadia High School, Ground Floor, Opp. University Campus.
1. Tution fee once paid is normally not refunded. Application for refund of fees should be addressed to the Registrar University of Mumbai in duplicate.
2. No Transference Certificate will be issued to the students who leave the Department, unless they clear all the dues.
3. Rs. 500/- will be charged for transcript certificate
For First Term : Rs.2950/-
For Second Term : Rs.1950/-
M.Sc. (PART - I) COURSES BY PAPERS IN THE BRANCH OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
A) Eligibility and Admission
Criteria for the year
Candidates who have either passed/ appeared for B.Sc. Degree examination of recognised University in the state of Maharashtra are eligible for the entrance examination to be conducted by the University of Mumbai. The candidate must have secured minimum 55% marks at B.Sc. examination. The entrance examination will cover subject like Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Life Sciences, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Physics, Mathematics / Statistics at B.Sc. level of Mumbai University.
B) Duration of the course : (Two years )
QUALIFYING EXAMINATION :
Bachelor of Science in Zoology, Botany , Biochemistry, Microbiology, Chemistry, Life Sciences, Physics, Statistics, Mathematics of the Mumbai or any equivalent degree of the UGC recognised University/ Institutes.
There are ten seats for M.Sc. Part - I Biotechnology course of which some seats are reserved for candidates belonging to SC/ST/DT/NT/OBC Category as per rules. Maximum one seat will be given to the candidates who passed B.Sc. from other University in Maharashtra, if selected.
ISSUANCE OF FORMS :
Copies of the prescribed application forms for entrance examination to the admission can be obtained from Deputy Registrar, Finance and Account, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari, Santacruz(E), Mumbai-400 098 on Rs.100/- by cash / D.D. between 11.00 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. after B.Sc. result is declared. The request for application form through the post should accompany self-addressed stamped envelope size (10cms.X 18cms.).
SUBMISSION OF FORMS :
The duly completed forms should be submitted to Head, Department of Biotechnology Life Sciences Building, Room No. 206, Second floor, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari, Santacruz (E), Mumbai - 400 098. on or before last date along with entrance examination fee of Rs. 250/- payable by cash /D.D.
The entrance examination will be held after the last date of submission of application form at , Department of Biotechnology ,Life Sciences Building, Room No. 206, Second floor, University of Mumbai, Vidyanagari, Santacruz (E), Mumbai - 400 098., from 11.00 am to 12.00 pm. The admission to the said course will be strictly on the basis of merit in the entrance examination.
Student are required to make their own arrangement for conveyance and accommodation at their own cost to appear for the entrance examination and interview etc. Information about eligibility, admission criteria etc. will be available with Dr. D. A. Bhiwgade, Professor and Head, Department of Life Sciences and Biotechnology.
D.D. if drawn should be addressed to The Finance and accounts Officer, University of Mumbai, Mumbai.
HOSTEL ACCOMODATION FOR STUDENTS :
Two seats in Boy?s Hostels and Two Seats in Girls Hostel are reserved for Department students.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE :
1. Fifteen merit Scholarships @ Rs. 75/- for per month for M.Sc. Part I & M.Sc. Part II
2. National Merit Scholarship.
3. GOI Merit Scholarship.
STUDY TOUR :
It is compulsory to all the students every year. The students should visit to the national laboratories in India and Rs. 500/- is deposited for this purpose at the time of admission.
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS FOR FILLING UP THE APPLICATION FORM ( ADMISSION ARE STRICTLY ON ENTRANCE MERIT) :
Admission of SC/ST/DT/NT/OBC are as per rules. Application must be accompanied by caste certificates duly certified by competent authority. In case of OBC students the ? Creamy layer ? Certificate should be appended ( Issued by the Competent authority during the current financial year) along with the application. Entrance application forms must be complete in all respects and must be submitted to the Head University Department of Biotechnology , Vidyanagari , Kalina Campus, Santacruz (E) , Mumbai-400 098 on or before the last date for submission of application forms.
Applicants who are Graduates of University in Maharashtra other than University of Mumbai are required to obtained a certificate of eligibility (Provisional) from the University Office ( Eligibility Section, Room no. 5 ? B? Wing , Ranade Bhavan, Ground floor, Vidyanagari , Kalina Campus, Santacruz (E) , Mumbai-400 098 before they are admitted to University Department of Biotechnology. Application must be accompanied by attested copy of the statements of marks obtained by the applicants at First, second and Third Year B.Sc. examination (attested by the Principal of a constituent college/ Head of recognised Institution/s member of the Senate of this University or Magistrate) along with their original which will be retained in the office & will be returned to the concerned students on specified dates.
INSTRUCTION TO THE CANDIDATES BELONGING TO THE SC/ST/OBC. ETC. CATEGORIES SEEKING ADMISSION TO THE M.Sc. ( BY PAPERS ) DEGREE COURSE.
Candidates will have to enclose the following certificates :
1. Attested xerox copies of the marks of the marks of the first year , Second year and Third year B.Sc. examination passed by them.
2. Applicants belonging to the reserved categories ( SC/ST/SC ) converted to Buddhism, DT/ SPL. Backward Class ) and NT - 1 will have to bring attested Xerox copy of
the caste Certificate issued by the component authority.
3. Candidates belonging to OBC categories will have to bring attested xerox copy of the Creamy Layer certificate issued in the currents financial year by the competent
authority. Applications from the categories mentioned above without the creamy layer certificate will not be entertained.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES WHOSE NAMES HAVE FIGURED IN THE LIST OF ADMISSION.
1. Letters of admission will not be issued unless the original T.Y.B.Sc. marksheet is deposited with the office.
2. a) Students who want to cancel their admission will not be given original mark sheet unless they produce documentary evidence from the authorities of college/
Institute where the student have been assigned seat.
b) Such students will also surrender their seat by giving a written application to the department stating the reason for cancellation of the allotted seat and producing
the registration form from the respective college / Institute with an endorsement that the seat has been cancelled.
3. Students whose original mark sheet are deposited with the office should claim the same on specified date.
TERMS AND ATTENDANCE :
The academic year begins on 9th June every year and is divided into two terms.
9th June to 21st October ( Both days inclusive )
18th November to 30th April ( Both days inclusive )
Winter Break from 25th December to 1st January ( Both days inclusive )
Attention to student seeking admission to the M.Sc. degree course is particularly invited to the following rules relating to the post graduate studies
1. That they will be required to attend in each of the two terms not less than 2/3rd of the total number of lectures delivered and also not less than 50 % of the lectures delivered in each paper.
2. That in addition to attendance at lectures and practicals, they will be required to carry out regularly the work assigned to them in the form of essays problems , tutorials etc. They shall be required to maintain a record in a properly bound journal. The work carried out by the students shall be reviewed by respective teachers/s at the end of two terms.
3. That the work will be in addition to the practical work that they are required to do for examination. The office working hours from Monday to Saturday between 10.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. with half of an hour recess between 1.00 p.m. to 1.30 p.m. The office will remain closed on second and fourth Saturdays of a month.
M.Sc. LABORATORY FACILITIES :
M.Sc. Laboratories are well equipped with the necessary equipment / Instruments/ Infrastructure to perform experiments in Biochemistry , Microbiology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology and Tissue Culture Technology with sophisticated instruments like PCR, ELISA READER , UV - Visible Spectrophotometer, Cold Centrifuge ,Rotary Microtome, Fraction Collector, -80? Centrifuge, Recording spectrophotometer, Immunoblot , 2- D Gel Electrophoresis and DNA sequencer. Computer with Colour Monitor and Printer and E-mail & Internet facility to students. Our seminar room with a seating capacity of 50 is housed in Life Sciences Building.
Jawaharlal Nehru Library at the Vidyanagari campus is well equipped with books, Journals & Periodicals. There is separate facility for doing Literature Survey. The students enrolled in the Department can avail both reading as well as Lending facility offered by the library. Internet facility is also available to students and staff at nominal charges. However students enrolled in other Post Graduate Centres can only avail reading facility. Department has its own small library.
TELEPHONE FACILITY :
Departmental Direct : 6526053, 6528822.
Boy?s Hostel Direct : 6526683 or 6526091 Extn : 419
Girl?s Hostel Direct : 6526233 or 6526091 Extn : 431